There are different kinds of Book Reviewers, some are professional reviewers and some are peer reviewers (or individual readers who leave reviews on platforms like Amazon and Goodreads on the books they've read). There are different things that may qualify someone as a professional and I like to consider myself one given my experience, the high volume of submissions I receive, the process needed for me to review your book, the time I put into it and the depth of the reviews.
What is a Book Review?
In short, a Book Review is a descriptive and critical evaluation of a book. While family and friends may leave reviews, I strongly advise against it. In this crowded market, you need reviews from real readers. People who are not just related to you, do not all believe the same as you do, are not part of your immediate circle and who are not necessarily your friends. This is because you need reviews that are HONEST and authentic. You need reviews that Amazon's bots won't be tempted to remove. You need reviews that aren't fake.
Reviewing Books Since 2015
I've been reviewing books for Independent (Indie) Authors for three years now and this service is FREE and always have been.
You should know that I feature all books reviewed on my blog of over 2200 subscribers and 70k views a week. My reviews are thorough and detailed without giving away spoilers, I’ve been listed as Reedsy’s Best Book Review Blogs of 2017 and 2018, and my reviews do bring readers. I am prompt. I am loyal and I am private. Both your email and your manuscript are kept confidential and never shared with third party individuals.
I do not give public criticism. My reviews are honest but if I really didn’t like your book, I will email you privately to address my concerns. If you are interested, I’ve created this page specifically for you. Please take this time to familiarize yourself with my process.
(1) If you would like me to review your book you must first REGISTER it through my registration form HERE. This is the first step. I DO NOT accept unsolicited submissions. You MUST register. Please do not email me your book or attach it to an email. I will only re-route you to the form. If THIS LINK doesn't work and you would like me to send you the form directly, I can do that. Please email me at email@example.com and put Book Review Form in the subject line.
(2) I will confirm that I have received your book and whether or not it’s something I am interested in reading. Registering does not automatically mean I will review your book but it does secure you a spot in line if I decide to. This is a free service. I don’t read anything that does not pique my interest (and saying you believe in Yah or that you’re a Hebrew Israelite is not enough, I must be interested in the story.) After registering, wait for my confirmation.
(3) After I have confirmed that I am interested, please send me the FIRST chapter of your book. Do not send me links to your Amazon page for the Look Inside Feature. You MUST attach the first chapter to the email as a PDF document. I DO NOT ACCEPT WORD DOCUMENTS for your protection and mine. It MUST be a PDF document. Please do not attach anything more than the FIRST chapter.
GIFT ME THE BOOK
(4) After I’ve read your first Chapter I will email you again. This means I would like to keep reading. Please GIFT me a copy of your book via Amazon or your platform of choice. You can also send me a PDF of the entire book attached via email. DO NOT ATTACH MOBI OR EPUB formats to the email. I can only accept gifted books through Amazon or PDFs through email. (If your book is not out yet, please attach your manuscript as a PDF)
(5) After I’ve read your book I will write the review and publish it to my blog, Amazon, and Goodreads. I will also publish it to Barnes and Noble if you are on that platform. I will send you the links to your published review. If I have suggestions on writing style I will email you that too. Remember that I only offer suggestions, not guaranteed solutions.
If you are not familiar with the review rating system or if this is your first review from me, I rate on a scale of 1-5 using a basic Review Rating System. Only ratings of 3 -5 are published online unless I have been given permission from the author directly that it's OK to do OTHERWISE. Rating meanings vary between reviewers but here are mine and they are based on:
- Plot Movement / Strength
- Entertainment Factor
- Authenticity / Believable
- Thought Provoking
Five Stars – Amazing, Outstanding:
This book was hard to put down and is highly recommended. It wasn't preachy, included fully developed characters, masterful use of language and an engaging plot.
Four Stars – Very Good:
This book is very enjoyable and well worth the read. Great story with only minor weaknesses that may include aspects plot/dialogue/character development
Three Stars – OK:
This book was entertaining. The writing and story telling are sound but there are several aspects that could be improved. May have editing/typo errors, too much telling, or not very engaging.
Two Stars – Not Recommended:
This book did not fully capture the reader’s attention or interest. Admirable attempt but needs more attention to plot/dialogue/editing/formatting/character development.
One Star – Poor:
This book has major issues with text that outweigh any enjoyment by the reader. Poorly written, preachy, unprofessional editing/layout/printing; needs major revision to deserve the reader’s time.
Linda g. hill, author, all good stories
“It’s not just because she reviewed my novelette, All Good Stories, and gave it 5 stars, I’m writing about her because she gives great (and helpful) reviews. In a market, so full, it’s hard to choose what to read, isn’t it? We really need reviews these days that go beyond the minimalistic, “I liked it,” to know what we’re investing our money in. Because money doesn’t grow on trees. Neither do books anymore, for that matter.”
WILLIAM SPIVEY, AUTHOR, STRONG BEGINNINGS
“Thank you Yecheilyah for taking the time to review my novel. What I valued even more was the constructive criticism which will propel me to make what I believed was a very good book even better. It’s a tremendous service you perform.”
SHONDA BROCK, AUTHOR, ETERNAL TRACES
“I’m still new in this game of reviews, so it’s still very nerve pinching when I read about how others feel about my books. But I must say, “Wow. You really got me!” I love history, so I felt compelled to tie a hidden piece of African history into the fictional storyline. Thank you for your time and your thoughts. Be blessed and ….. Stay Inspired.”
J.A. OWENBY, AUTHOR, THE TRUTH SHE KNEW (BOOK ONE)
"Hey Yecheilyah, I wanted to message you again to say that your review meant a lot to me."
JAMES FANT, AUTHOR COED
"Your email made my day! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the book, glad that it made you laugh. One of my aims with this novel was to make readers smile.
Thanks so much for your review. It has encouraged me to think about ways I can improve, what works and what doesn't. Again, my day was made!"
DEBORAH ANN DYKEMAN, AUTHOR, TO THEE I'M WED
"Yecheilyah, thank you for a wonderful review! I know you put a lot of time into reading To Thee I’m Wed and then writing the review. It makes me want to read it! lol"
CHRISTA WOJO, AUTHOR, SICK
"Thank you so much for your incisive and insightful review, Yecheilyah. I am thrilled and honored that you liked SICK (despite John’s tantrums)"
LISA W. TETTING, SOUTHERN HORROR STORIES
"A huge Thank You to my girl EC for this AWESOME review of my short story collection Southern Horror Stories!"